Sunday, February 10, 2008

What would Jesus Christ think about murder?

By izartirta

If we look further on the way Jesus think about something and comparing it to our own way, we would see that there is a gap or even a huge difference.

I’m going to show you here one example about how different our way of seeing thing than that of Jesus. We think that if we have never killed someone then we are a good person, at least better than a murderer. We live our way while having a good image about ourselves. We see someone who ever killed somebody as a bad person (he is a bad person actually!) and see ourselves as good one. What would Jesus think about this?

Jesus’ opinion about this was recorded in Matthew 5:21:

“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

In this verse we see how Jesus explains us the actual meaning and motivation behind the laws of Moses. People usually feel satisfy whenever they think they have obeyed one rule without seeing further to the actual meaning and motivation or even main purpose of that rule. This verse here clearly exposes that situation. There is misunderstanding in everybody’s mind about this rule. Therefore Jesus teaching them and giving them proper meaning.

For Jesus, it is not enough to avoid killing but we must too avoid anger and hatred. The one who says Raca to his brother is also subject to judgment. Raca is an Aramaic term of contempt. By saying this word to anyone we are despising him intentionally and this act is clearly exposing our hatred heart to him. Do we ever think about their feeling after hearing our word to them? Even if they don’t feel hurt for what we have said or even if we don’t say this word right before their face, the existence of hatred in our heart is undeniable. And Jesus considers this as sin. Hatred is not better than murder. If we think that a murderer is a bad person, now we must realize that the one who hates is no better than a murderer. We should also realize that the root of murder in the hate in our heart.

I have never killed anyone in my life but honestly I can’t 100% clean myself from the feeling of hate. It just appears in my heart, sometimes I don’t even realize it until that feeling consume me or even destroy me. I have to admit that – seeing from Jesus’ point of view – I’m not a good person and subject to punishment because of this.

I’m not trying to judge you or anyone but I think this problem is not just happening with me. I think, and I’m quite sure about this, that this is the problem that all human is facing, off course according to their own spiritual level and capacity. That is why I believe that no one is good enough to enter heaven. Instead, we all deserve hell because of our sin (Remember that I was just talking about one example here; that is murder. The Bible pointed out many problems like this just to give us the picture of our spiritually dead condition). We have sinned more badly to God than we could even realize or imagine it.

However, as the one who belief in Jesus Christ I also know that I have hope to enter heaven. This is not just an empty hope because the Bible has told us that in Jesus Christ there will be no punishment.

I know I will go to heaven but this is not because I consider myself as a perfect man but merely because I know that Jesus Christ has died for my sin.

Through His redemption alone I know that I’m loved and accepted and someday He will let me enter His dwelling place in heaven forever. Thank you Jesus you are the Lord and my Savior.

My friend, come to Him while you still can, Jesus Christ loves you.